[mythtv-users] Transcoding/Commercial Cut User jobs

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 20:07:37 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

To answer your first question: Automatic commercial detection generally
needs to be corrected. I've noticed that it works best with the big
network's prime time shows, but even then, the very beginning of the show
and the very end of the show often will either be cut inappropriately,  or
be lacking the desired cut.   I also find that if a scene in a show is dark
(the lights go out, or in the woods at night, etc.) it will often be seen
as the start of a commercial.

The second question: Assuming your script to trans-code works on the
"verified cut"  version of the recording, and the original recording has no
signal interruptions, then the transcoded file shouldn't need to be
reviewed - at least once you're satisfied with the parameters of the
handbrake commands regarding quality, resolution, bit rate, etc.

The only issues I've encountered are when a particular recording had poor
reception, as I use a relatively cheap antenna and there can be dropouts if
it's not positioned properly and / or when there is a lot of wind gusts in
my area, then sometimes the transcode command will fail. That's not
something I worry too much about though because if it's that poor a
recording, I probably don't want to save it anyway. (I'll just wait for it
to repeat and hope I don't have the same issues the second time).

Regarding the various parameters for your handbrake command - just find
examples and experiment a bit, as the results you will get versus what
results you want will be a time & effort trade-off according to your
personal tastes.

HTH,

George

-- George