[mythtv-users] No sound if receiver is turned off at boot (Was: What display manager (and window manager) to choose)

Peter Carlsson maillist.peter at home.se
Tue Feb 21 11:07:08 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 08:31:34AM +0100, Peter Carlsson wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I would like to know what display manager and window manager people
> are using.
>
> I used to have a line in /etc/inittab but I think that method
> was deprecated in one Debian update a year or more ago.
>
> I then started to use SLiM and recently changed to LightDM.
>
> For my Debian (Jessie/stable) MythTV system I use XFCE4, but I have
> a problem (with both SLiM and LightDM) that it sometimes fails to
> autologin. It feels like a race condition where it attempts to
> autologin before the window manager is fully started.
>
> So I would be happy if people could tell me what combination of
> display manager and window manager you are using.
>
> It must support autologin but doesn't have to be fancy or anything.

I solved this problem by using nodm and I also had to modify
/etc/X11/xorg.conf to always use a predefined EDID-file even if the
receiver/TV is turned off at boot.

Now it seems like I have a similar problem with the audio. If the
receiver/TV is turned off at boot I get no sound.

My workaround for this is to turn on the receiver/TV and then do a
'killall xfce4-session'. This restarts the XFCE4 and the sound works.

Is there a similar way for ALSA to use a predefined settings file to
use if the receiver/TV is turned off att boot?

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson