[mythtv-users] Trouble getting hdpvr 1212 to record through mythtv

Marius Schrecker marius.schrecker at lyse.net
Thu Dec 14 09:45:18 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 21:13 CET, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

What about buffering. Is it possible that there is an issue writing to some temporary space?

Can anything else be gleaned from the logging line:
" DeviceReadBuffer recorders/DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:545 (Poll) DevRdB(/dev/video0): Poll giving up after 2500ms"
or could I turn on more verbosity to try to identify where there is a problem? That line is why I included the long USB cable comment.  It was years ago that I hit that issue, so I really cannot remember exactly.  The cheap a$$ power supplies they ship cause weird issues like this too.  I replaced all of mine long ago. -Greg
Thanks Greg,

  That is looking increasingly like a candidate, as the device is now responding erratically also using cat. I still haven't worked out if it's something I did yesterday (did mess around a bit) or something physical. Unfortunately, replacing the cable entails a certain amount of building work, but I should be able to devise a test to identify whether it's cable, USB header or power supply - already replaced a couple of years back when my first HDPVR died.

Yesterday I messed about a bit with a udev rule to set the audio encoding to AC3 (following wiki advice) through a script and also installed quite a few v4l2 dependencies to get the script working. After that, catting was not possible any more and even resulted in the cat process hanging so that even a kill -9 wouldn't remove it.

Another think I notice is that the kernel is trying to load the PVR ir-kbd-i2c
  and zilog lirc modules and there is some firmware missing for those.  I already tried setting the lirc_zilog tx_only=1 modprobe option, but apparently that parameter isn't suported any more. I'm going to try blacklisting all the related modules altogether, as I don't use any IR to or from the HDPVR.

  Still not there, but learning ;)

BR.

--Marius--