[mythtv-users] Trouble getting hdpvr 1212 to record through mythtv

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 20:13:23 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 2:26 AM, Marius Schrecker <marius.schrecker at lyse.net
> [...]

> | /dev/video0 | HDPVR    | *Component* | HDPVR_0     |
> | /dev/video1 | HDPVR    | *Component* | HDPVR_1     |
> +-------------+----------+-----------+-------------+
>
> Also,
>
> for i in /sys/module/hdpvr/parameters/* ; do
> echo -ne "### $i\n$(cat ${i})\n" ; done
>

> Barring either of those being wrong, I have actually had USB2 timing
> issues from using a USB cable greater than 10' - believe it or not!
>

> Also, make sure you have configured the correct audio input in
> mythtv-setup. I have found that if I do not, recordings fail (which makes
> no logical sense, but...)
>
> And I have this line sitting in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
>
>   /usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --device /dev/video0 --set-ctrl=audio_encoding=4
>
> which sets the audio encoding mode to something other than the default
> (though it's been so long I don't recall what the value means.)
>

> Inputs are rear component (through a HDFURY-2) and toslink SPDIF, direct
> from my STB.  I didn't have much time this morning, but am pretty sure that
> my inputs are set correctly. The system device is configured directly from
> modules-load.d/hdpvr.conf, where both inputs are set directly.  After doing
> this, the module loads at bootup and the device is ready and accessible
> at /dev/video0 . Before writing the conf file, I had to power-toggle the
> hdpvr to load the module.
>
> Having done this, I don't need to manipulate anything using v4l2-ctl.
> Output from *v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --all* was in my original
> mail and confirms the iinputs.
>
> I had a quick look at the database this morning, which seems to confirm
> the systemwide settings:
>  select videodevice,cardtype,inputname,displayname from capturecard where
> cardtype='HDPVR';
>

> *+-------------+----------+-----------+--------------------+| videodevice
> | cardtype | inputname | displayname
> |+-------------+----------+-----------+--------------------+| /dev/video0 |
> HDPVR    | Component | Altibox-via-HD_PVR |From Dan's mail, tyhat just
> leaves me with the *
> While the sys/modula/paramaters are:
>   for i in /sys/module/hdpvr/parameters/* ; do
> > echo -ne "### $i\n$(cat ${i})\n" ; done
> ### /sys/module/hdpvr/parameters/boost_audio
> ### /sys/module/hdpvr/parameters/default_audio_input
> 2
> ### /sys/module/hdpvr/parameters/default_video_input
> 0
> ### /sys/module/hdpvr/parameters/hdpvr_debug
> 0
>
> From Dan's mail, that just leaves the audio encoding as a possible problem
> and I will take a look at that this evening.
>
> What about buffering. Is it possible that there is an issue writing to
> some temporary space?
>
> Can anything else be gleaned from the logging line:
> *" DeviceReadBuffer recorders/DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:545 (Poll)
> DevRdB(/dev/video0): Poll giving up after 2500ms"*
> or could I turn on more verbosity to try to identify where there is a

That line is why I included the long USB cable comment.  It was years ago
that I hit that issue, so I really cannot remember exactly.  The cheap a$$
power supplies they ship cause weird issues like this too.  I replaced all
of mine long ago.

-Greg

This does seem to be MythTV related as catting the device works as it