[mythtv-users] HD Home Run Prime HDHR3-CC keeps re-booting, can't access cable card - solved

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 00:34:38 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 12:15 AM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> I'm curious.  Why would an HDHomeRun need to do DNS?

As I understand it, in no particular order:

* To upload debugging information (if you turn on diagnostics
  in order for SD to provide assistance the device has to know
  where to send the data)

* For ease of use, the devices call home and report
  their internal IPs so that people can go to "my.hdhomerun.com"
  and get direct access (via a browser) to a device which
  has (or may have) a dynamic IP address on your local
  network behind a NAT device.  This eases setup for
  numerous cases.

* Their {current} Android app, and upcoming DVR product
  needs the devices to register "home" to associate
  your devices with your account to deal with the locally
  relevant guide data (channel 123 is different in each
  location).

As you say, you have an existence proof that shows
that it is possible to not have external network access
for different use cases.