[mythtv-users] HD Home Run Prime HDHR3-CC keeps re-booting, can't access cable card - solved

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 02:59:56 UTC 2016

Hoi Mythtv,

Wednesday, November 9, 2016, 2:11:08 AM, you wrote:

>  Wednesday, November 9, 2016, 1:32:45 AM, you wrote:
>
 >> Nick here from Silicondust...
>

 >> Confirming, we found and fixed a bug in           the firmware a
 >> few years ago relating to DNS handling.
 >>            For HDHomeRun PRIME units it affects units running
 >> 20130117 or           older firmware.
 >>            For HDHomeRun DUAL units it affects units running
 >> 20141124 or           older firmware.
 >>

 >> The easiest fix is to unplug the WAN           port of your home
 >> router so the old HDHomeRun firmware is           happy, then
 >> upgrade it to the latest firmware (20161107b for           PRIME and 20161107 for DUAL).
 >>
 >> The direct firmware download links can           be found on our website under Downloads, Linux.
 >>

 >> We are beefing up our server           infrastructure... we now use
 >> CloudFlare for the first level.           Behind that we have
 >> caching servers in four locations for           speed, redundancy,
 >> and backend failover selection. Finally we           have the
 >> backend servers, with most services being served by
 >> redundant servers. Linux and scripted builds all the way
 >> through. I had fun setting that up :-)
 >>

 >> Nick
 >>
 >> I'm curious.  Why would an HDHomeRun need to do DNS?  I have three
 >> HDHomeRun tuners connected to my backend on a dedicated network
 >> which has no DNS service at all and they work just fine.  The
 >> backend connects to the HDHomeRun, not the other way around.
 >> Jay
>
 >> Hi Jay,
>

 >> HDHomeRun tuners are quite happy operating with MythTV without DNS/internet.
>

 >> If DNS+Internet is available the HDHomeRun will sync with our guide
 >> servers every now and again. If you use the HDHomeRun app for
 >> Windows, Mac, Android, or XBox One, or if you use Kodi and the
 >> HDHomeRun add-on on any supported platform you get 4 hours of TV
 >> guide from Silicondust (or 2 weeks if you are testing our DVR
 >> system). The sync allows our guide servers to automatically match
 >> your TV channels to the guide and returns an auth token so apps can
 >> use the guide. No usage information is passed (we don't care what
 >> you watch, just that the guide is right without you having to
 >> manually match channels). The sync also enables channel logos for
 >> DLNA and sets the time in the HDHomeRun.
>

 >> Nick
>
>  I guess you are now talking about US and possibly Canadian customers
>  and not about the European model(s)?
>

> The plan is to expand guide coverage. We currently have limited UK
> guide and started testing guide for Germany.

> Germany is complicated because they don't use channel numbers except as set by the user.

> It may take a few months but our goal is good guide coverage for European countries.

Maybe you should look more at providers then at countries. The main
provider here in the Netherlands (Ziggo/UPC) is covering other
countries, like if I'm right Poland and maybe part of Germany and
Scandinavia. And they use channel numbers.
I'm sure that kind of support would trigger interest as many users
here use TVheadend and Windows.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven