[mythtv-users] Cheap HDMI capture

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Jun 28 17:53:49 UTC 2016

On 6/28/2016 10:39 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> FWIW, we rich people in the US who normally speak up when people start
> discussing how to break US copyright laws on a publicly-archived,
> US-based mailing list for a US-based software project never once told
> you or anyone else not to break US copyright laws nor did we tell you
> not to steal content nor did we tell you how to live your lives.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but this is a valid point to hash out
to keep the MythTV list maintainers happy and not have them start
deleting posts. *I* looked at this thread as finding a way to encode
streams from the newest set of STBs that have only HDMI out and no
longer have component out. Thus rendering the HDPVR obsolete. I always
thought that encoding of fully paid for source is legal under fair use
laws as long as it is for personal use only and you don't turn around
and try to share to sell that stream. Am I wrong?