[mythtv-users] Updating to 0.28 and Mythbuntu 16.04.1

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Dec 3 08:37:38 UTC 2016

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 17:47:58 +1100, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>

>I tried a fresh install of mythbuntu 16.04.1 and had lots of issues so after
>reading a Jim Abernathy's threads decided to make a clone of my production
>system and update it.
>

>Currently on 0.27 Fixes and 14.04.5.
>

>Got the clone up and going but having trouble with the update to 0.28.
>

>I enter MCC (Mythbuntu control centre) and select 0.28 in the repositories.
>It warns me I am going to use a development branch.
>
>Surely this is incorrect. So I hit the update repositories button then after
>a short while I get an error, "URL Error : Failed to download new DB File"
>

>Any ideas.
>

>In Software & Updates Settings I have
>
> Canonical-supported free and aopen-source software (main)  and
>
>Community-maintained free and open-source software (universe) and
>
>Proprietry drivers for devices (restricted) and
>
>Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse) all selected.
>

>I have tried changing the source server to no avail!
>

>Andrew

That sounds like there is a problem at the server end.  You can
manually change the repositories.  What do you currently have in your
/etc/apt/sources.list file and in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d
directory files?  You need to change the deb lines that say 0.27 to
0.28.  You probably have a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d called
mythbuntu-0_27-trusty.list which should have something like this in
it:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.27/ubuntu trusty main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.27/ubuntu trusty main

If so, change the 0.27 in both lines to 0.28 and rename the file to
mythbuntu-0_28-trusty.list.  But MCC has had some bugs in how it has
done this in the past, so you need to check the /etc/apt/sources.list
and all the other /etc/apt/sources.list.d files to make sure they do
not have any other MythTV stuff in them that should not be there. Mine
were dreadfully messed up when I came to do the 0.27 to 0.28 upgrade,
so I had to spend some time deleting all the old stuff and fixing
where things were.

Once you have the apt files sorted, you need to do "apt-get update"
and "apt-get upgrade"  (or maybe "apt-get dist-upgrade").