[mythtv-users] Updating to 0.28 and Mythbuntu 16.04.1

Andrew Potter andrew at potter.id.au
Sat Dec 3 11:49:25 UTC 2016

>Hi All,
>

>I tried a fresh install of mythbuntu 16.04.1 and had lots of issues so
>after reading a Jim Abernathy's threads decided to make a clone of my
>production system and update it.
>

>Currently on 0.27 Fixes and 14.04.5.
>

>Got the clone up and going but having trouble with the update to 0.28.
>

>I enter MCC (Mythbuntu control centre) and select 0.28 in the repositories.
>It warns me I am going to use a development branch.
>
>Surely this is incorrect. So I hit the update repositories button then
>after a short while I get an error, "URL Error : Failed to download new DB
File"

>Any ideas.
>

>In Software & Updates Settings I have
>
> Canonical-supported free and aopen-source software (main)  and
>
>Community-maintained free and open-source software (universe) and
>
>Proprietry drivers for devices (restricted) and
>
>Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse) all selected.
>

>I have tried changing the source server to no avail!
>

>Andrew

That sounds like there is a problem at the server end.  You can manually
change the repositories.  What do you currently have in your
/etc/apt/sources.list file and in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory
files?  You need to change the deb lines that say 0.27 to 0.28.  You
probably have a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d called
mythbuntu-0_27-trusty.list which should have something like this in
it:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.27/ubuntu trusty main # deb-src
http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.27/ubuntu trusty main

If so, change the 0.27 in both lines to 0.28 and rename the file to
mythbuntu-0_28-trusty.list.  But MCC has had some bugs in how it has done
this in the past, so you need to check the /etc/apt/sources.list and all the
other /etc/apt/sources.list.d files to make sure they do not have any other
MythTV stuff in them that should not be there. Mine were dreadfully messed
up when I came to do the 0.27 to 0.28 upgrade, so I had to spend some time
deleting all the old stuff and fixing where things were.

Once you have the apt files sorted, you need to do "apt-get update"
and "apt-get upgrade"  (or maybe "apt-get dist-upgrade").

Checked this out and as you suggested OI do have a
mythbuntu-0_27-trusty.list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Could find no mythbuntu related lines at all in /etc/apt/sources.list, which
sounds like that is what it should be but not what you found.

Will try changing that on the cloned copy and see how I go. Once that is
working I will let it run for a while before trying to go to 16.04.

On a none Mythtv issue, Any suggestions on where to read about grub2. I have
the cloned disk in the grub2 menu for  the original disk but will need to
eventually transfer grub to the cloned disk so it can boot without the
original disk.

Andrew

Thanks