[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 29 21:12:38 UTC 2015

On 09/29/2015 04:39 PM, John Moore (Insight Global) wrote:

> Well, this whole issue has evolved over time from when I purchased a
> house expecting to be using ComCast Cable, to looking at Dish, to now
> setting up Over the Air.
>
> As far as simple and seamless.  That’s what I am wanting. We have
> never used the MythTV front end (other than on the Server for testing)
> as its not a simple installable application that can be grabbed from
> Google Play or via Roku.  Which seems to be the ongoing problem with
> MythTV.  If MythTV developers could solve that problem and add a
> mythtv front end that would work on a tablet or smart phone (last
> check hasn’t happened) I would not have to use Kodi which works great
> and has added plugins for things Like Pandora, Hulu, Netflix, and
> Vudu.  So MythTV is nothing more than a back end which Android clients
> connect to via Kodi.

Sounds like all you need, then, is Kodi (with (eventual?) HDHR DVR
plugin) and HDHR DVR.  MythTV wouldn't be any use to you, at all, since
you're only using the backend for recording--which is exactly what the
HDHR DVR is for.

> In looking at some new HDHR hardware I came across the DVR, I figured
> I would ask this group if anyone has ventured to try it and see how it
> worked or if there was any gains to the MythTV env.
>
> Since it appears not, that’s fine.  At $60, I was willing to risk that
> I and purchased one myself.  I will let everyone know my experience.

Again, I think it's exactly what you want.  The one thing you don't seem
to want/need with what you're describing is MythTV.

Mike