[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

John Moore (Insight Global) v-johmo at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 29 20:39:57 UTC 2015

From: mythtv-users [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Tom Bongiorno
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 1:30 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 4:06 PM, John Moore (Insight Global) <v-johmo at microsoft.com<mailto:v-johmo at microsoft.com>> wrote:

From: mythtv-users [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org<mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org>] On Behalf Of Jim
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 12:58 PM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org<mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

On 9/29/2015 3:06 PM, John Moore (Insight Global) wrote:
> I am not sure what is protected content.

Encrypted. Like HBO and other premium channels. That means you have to have an approved, closed system to view.

--
Jim

Therein lies the problem with me.  I don't care for HBO.  I have VUDU.  I would be really excited if MythTV could stream my vudu content so that I could have my user account and password on the server, and anyone who could connect to the server could have access to my vudu media.

So it sounds like for me, I don't have to worry about "Protected" content.

Thanks,
John Moore

mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users at mythtv.org<mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org

As a long time user of ATSC, QAM, and CableCard tuners, I have a pretty good handle on what can be watched from where. I want to help the OP if I could only figure out what he is trying to accomplish. I have re-read this thread a few times and still have little idea.

I don't know if he is using cable, satellite, OTA, or something else. Does he want to watch using a MythTV frontend, something else, or a combination of clients? Does he want to use the MythTV backend or HDHomeRun DVR or something else. I am lost.

John, good luck with your simple and seamless solution. Let us know how it works out.

-Tom

Well, this whole issue has evolved over time from when I purchased a house expecting to be using ComCast Cable, to looking at Dish, to now setting up Over the Air.

As far as simple and seamless.  That’s what I am wanting.  We have never used the MythTV front end (other than on the Server for testing) as its not a simple installable application that can be grabbed from Google Play or via Roku.  Which seems to be the ongoing problem with MythTV.  If MythTV developers could solve that problem and add a mythtv front end that would work on a tablet or smart phone (last check hasn’t happened) I would not have to use Kodi which works great and has added plugins for things Like Pandora, Hulu, Netflix, and Vudu.  So MythTV is nothing more than a back end which Android clients connect to via Kodi.

In looking at some new HDHR hardware I came across the DVR, I figured I would ask this group if anyone has ventured to try it and see how it worked or if there was any gains to the MythTV env.

Since it appears not, that’s fine.  At $60, I was willing to risk that I and purchased one myself.  I will let everyone know my experience.

John Moore