[mythtv-users] Anyone using an HP MCE IR receiver with a Sky remote control?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon May 11 16:16:18 UTC 2015

On 11 May 2015 at 16:56, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/05/15 13:32, Nick Morrott wrote:
>> I have a Topseed USB IR receiver (model is TSES-IR01 with USB ID
>> 1784:0001) which works fine with the Sky remotes, so I'm trying to
>> establish if the receiver might be faulty, or just does not understand
>> the RC6-6-20 protocol.
>
> Nick,
>
> MCE receivers are "dumb"; they don't do any of the decoding themselves.
> This is done by the kernel or by lirc (which overlap now that a lot of
> the guts of lirc has been moved into the kernel).

I'm fully up to speed wrt kernel input layer and LIRC. I've got a
mixture of input-layer (mceusb) and non-input-layer (lirc_serial)
devices in the setup, which is nearly 11 years old.

> I suggest you play around with irrecord and, if necessary, mode2, in
> order to see both whether the receiver works and whether it can make
> anything of the signals emitted by your remote.

The kernel is producing nothing useful from the HP receiver when using
the Sky remotes, whilst the Topseed receiver does (autoloads mceusb
module and rc-rc6-mce keymap).

I've been using ir-keytable with rc-core debugging to test the remotes
- IMO there's no point using irrecord/mode2 if the kernel cannot pass
the scancodes to LIRC.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of per-device protocol toggle in
the linux-media tree that determines whether a receiver should decode
the fancier RC-6 variants. I know there's no issue with the software
side of things because the Topseed receiver works perfectly with the
Sky remote - it's the HP one that is acting up (works fine with
vanilla RC-6 remotes).

I'll clone the linux-media tree and have a deeper look.

> Another very good tool is irscrutinizer [3]

I've not used that before. Will have a look

Thanks,
Nick