[mythtv-users] MythtTV on Gentoo: resources?

david brooke david2012brooke at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 02:19:25 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 9:43 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org>
wrote:

> I finally got my Liva X booting under Gentoo. I'm not totally new to this
> distro, having administered a Gentoo system (a friend did the installation
> for me) for a short time a few years ago. But I'm still a relative
> greenhorn. I decided to try out Gentoo on this thing, for what it's worth,
> in the hopes that by tuning the installation I'd be able to get better
> performance and perhaps longer life out of the hardware.
>
> I'm doing basic OS installation and configuration at the moment. But I've
> gone ahead and started looking to see what's available in the way of help
> documentation--which tends to be pretty good in the case of Gentoo--for
> getting MythTV installed and running under this distro.
>
> What I've found in the way of documentation in an initial foray seems to
> be quite dated. Since there seem to be a few on this list who run MythTV
> under Gentoo, I thought I'd ask here what is considered a good guide for
> the relative newcomer wanting to install and run MythTV under this distro?
>
> Thanks.

I'm relatively new to Gentoo and I used the guide below to basically
install Mythtv. I posted this guide initially a few weeks back and several
members helped refine it. If you are installing just a frontend, then
follow steps 1, 11 and 12. If installing a backend then follow the entire
guide. I personally didn't install pulseaudio which happened automatically
since I didn't declare pulseaudio in make.conf or package.use. I added
media-tv/mythtv dvb to the package.use file to enable the use of my tuner
cards (Dvico and pcHDTV).

2/27/15 rev
1. Install the MythTV

# emerge -av mythtv

2. Enable and start MySQL

# emerge --config =dev-db/mariadb-10.0.16
# rc-update add mysql default && rc-service mysql start

3. You'll also need to check that the "networking" feature of MySQL is
turned on. Check that /etc/mysql/my.cnf does not contain skip-networking.
If it does, either remove that line or comment it out. Also verify that
bind-address is set to your IP address instead of 127.0.0.1. Alternatively
/etc/conf.d/mysql can be used to address skip-networking and bind-address.
Set MY_ARGS="--bind-address=masterbackendipaddress" and skip-networking
default is off. If you change either of these items, restart MySQL.

# rc-service mysql restart

4. Setup mysql and add a password:

# mysql_secure_installation

5. Create the database structure: (See example using root as user and 1234
as password)

# mysql -u root -p1234 </usr/share/mythtv/database/mc.sql

6. Update your database (Optional with new install): (See example using
root as user and 1234 as password)

# mysql_upgrade -u root -p1234

7. Add time zone tables: (See example using root as user and 1234 as
password)

$ mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root -p1234 mysql

8. Allow remote frontends access: (See example using mythtv as user, mythtv
as password and root as user, 1234 as password)

# mysql -u root -p1234
MariaDB [(none)]> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO 'mythtv'@'192.168.97.%'
IDENTIFIED BY 'mythtv';
***Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)***output only!
MariaDB [(none)]> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
***Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)***output only!
MariaDB [(none)]> exit
***Bye***output only!

9. Enable mythbackend

# rc-update add mythbackend default

10. Setup mythbackend

$ mythtv-setup

If restoring a database backup, complete the General section only then
perform the database backup.
Example command:
./mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database --directory
/home/username/Desktop --filename mythconverg-1317-20150227105348.sql.gz

11. Setup logging for mythfrontend and mythbackend.

A. Change permissions on /var/log/mythtv with chown for the user you are
running mythtv.

B. Edit /etc/conf.d/mythfrontend
Replace
#MYTHFRONTEND_OPTS="--syslog local7"
With
MYTHFRONTEND_OPTS="--quiet --logpath /var/log/mythtv"

C. Edit /etc/conf.d/mythbackend
Replace
#MYTHBACKEND_OPTS=""
With
MYTHBACKEND_OPTS="--quiet --logpath /var/log/mythtv"
*****This isn't needed due it is setup in the /etc/init.d/mythbackend

12. No icons/launchers, to start Mythtv frontend or backend are created.
Solution - KDE
Right click on KDE homerun icon and select edit applications.
Select Multimedia
Select new item
Enter Mythtv for item name
Enter mythfrontend for command