[mythtv-users] OS X Installer Updated - March 2015

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Mar 22 11:33:14 UTC 2015

At 10:53 PM -0400 3/21/15, George Nassas wrote:
>On Mar 21, 2015, at 8:25 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>  As to frontend only, the fe and be need all the same libraries so
>>the savings for a frontend-only build is trivial.  There is a
>>switch in configure that may do that but I've never tried.  I think
>>it was disabled for quite some time.
>
>It's less about the disk savings and more about not having a launchd
>config that starts a local backend which I don't want and, I think,
>a mysql server which I don't need. I'll probably never be a customer
>due to tracking master but I suspect others could use variants that
>suppress the launchd stuff and depend on mysql libraries instead of
>a whole server. That would support an FE-only install and also a
>secondary/slave backend setup. Not sure how much demand there is for
>a Mac SBE but it would be doable.

Um, launchd won't start a backend unless you tell it to!  Both the
Myth_Stop_Start helper and 'port load mythtv-core.27' are shortcuts
to the 'sudo launchctl load -w
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.mythtv.mythbackend.plist'.  The plist, by
itself, doesn't do anything.  The user determines if launchd is to
run the process or not.

BTW, installing only the mysql libraries is, again, very little
savings.  The "client" and "server" ports have all the same libraries
and code.  The mariadb-server port adds the plist file and a few
notes explaining how to load/unload the server.

To put it another way, if I packaged a separate FE only installer,
the savings (in code/download size) would be because MythWeb, Apache
and PHP would not be needed.  Respectively, the compressed sizes of
those components are 1.7, 4.0 and  2.5 MB.  With a few other
components, maybe the savings would be 20 MB on a 400 MB installer.
It just doesn't seem to be worth the extra effort to build another
installer and make sure users get the right one.

>  > Depending what you want to do, you may be better to use the
>osx-packager script and build a bundled frontend?
>
>I've used that script in the past and it worked well enough but
>dependency links would always be going stale so I figured macports
>could help.

How true.  There are 120 components in the all-in-one installer (aka
dependencies; 49 are Perl modules).  I hadn't touched the environment
I use to build the installer in 4 months and about 40 of them needed
an update of some form.

Craig