[mythtv-users] OS X Installer Updated - March 2015

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sun Mar 22 14:02:39 UTC 2015

On Mar 22, 2015, at 7:33 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Um, launchd won't start a backend unless you tell it to!  Both the Myth_Stop_Start helper and 'port load mythtv-core.27' are shortcuts to the 'sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.mythtv.mythbackend.plist'.  The plist, by itself, doesn't do anything.  The user determines if launchd is to run the process or not.

Well, looking at http://macports.mirror.ac.za/release/ports/multimedia/mythtv-core.27/files/org.mythtv.mythbackend.plist I see:

    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>

and

    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <true/>

so if the file is in /Library/LaunchDaemons it's definitely going to do something at load and also on each boot. It did when I installed it around the time you first announced the port. RunAtLoad false would work for me but probably not everyone else so no reason to change. I can edit the config to not run at load but macports will reset that on each update. I have a similar problem with nginx where I want the launchd to use my parameters but macports would keep overwriting my changes.

Anyway the news about local portfiles is great, I'll have a go sometime in the next few months.

- George