[mythtv-users] OS X Installer Updated - March 2015

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sun Mar 22 02:53:10 UTC 2015

On Mar 21, 2015, at 8:25 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Any local ports you develop/modify are recognized as follows:
> http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories

Wow, that was easier than I thought. I use macports and have glanced at the local port page in the past but didn't really internalize it. I was worried I'd have to run a parallel tree for the local portfile.

> -MacPorts isn't designed to fetch updates from a version control system like git.  It wants to build from a snapshot--I use GitHub's feature to create archives from a commit.  Not a big deal but I have to update the commit hash and checksums each time I want to pull a newer version.

No problem, I have a local webserver and can do a script to fake out a "release" and update the portfile.

> As to frontend only, the fe and be need all the same libraries so the savings for a frontend-only build is trivial.  There is a switch in configure that may do that but I've never tried.  I think it was disabled for quite some time.

It's less about the disk savings and more about not having a launchd config that starts a local backend which I don't want and, I think, a mysql server which I don't need. I'll probably never be a customer due to tracking master but I suspect others could use variants that suppress the launchd stuff and depend on mysql libraries instead of a whole server. That would support an FE-only install and also a secondary/slave backend setup. Not sure how much demand there is for a Mac SBE but it would be doable.

> Depending what you want to do, you may be better to use the osx-packager script and build a bundled frontend?

I've used that script in the past and it worked well enough but dependency links would always be going stale so I figured macports could help.

- George