[mythtv-users] recommendations?: energy efficient FE/BE system

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Feb 18 23:02:12 UTC 2015

On 18/02/15 21:13, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:35 PM, James Miller
> <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
>> I've done a little preliminary research and found, for example, this
>> pre-built box:
>> http://www.logicsupply.com/computers/hardware-line/commercial/mc600b-10/.
>> Anyone have any opinions on that low-power unit as a Myth FE/BE box?
>
> Have you seen any pictures of the interior of that unit?  The
> description says it has room for eight disks, but looking at the
> outside, I just can't imagine how that's possible.  Are most of the
> bays limited to 2.5 inch drives or something?

If you want to use that box for mythtv it will work, but expect to do all your
decoding in the CPU.

I have a J1900 box - for other purposes - and for giggles installed myth on it.
As I mentioned, it works, but your options may not be as broad as you think.

Oh, and you need to update the microcode before the NICs work properly... Debian
installs, but complains on subsequent bootups.

--

Mike Perkins