[mythtv-users] recommendations?: energy efficient FE/BE system

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Wed Feb 18 22:49:11 UTC 2015

On 18/02/15 17:35, James Miller wrote:
> Hello all. Since I have a tax refund coming soon and my Myth box
> (combination FE/BE, currently running Mythbuntu 12.04) is getting a bit
> long in the tooth, I'm seriously considering an upgrade. I'd like to ask
> here for recommendations for a replacement system, whether that be in
> the form of a pre-built box, or individual hardware components. I live
> in the US, btw, and do have experience putting together computers from
> parts. I do plan on installing the OS myself--likely a newer version of
> Mythbuntu.
> In any case, recommendations and advice on these subjects will be much
> appreciated.

If you don't need real time transcoding, have a look at the HP
Microservers G7. They were quite cheap in the UK ( £100-130 after cash
back from HP). I use one as combined BE/FE with two HD Homeruns. I only
added a Zotac GT 610 video card to be able to watch HD content. If you
only have DVI, then you need to split the audio signal from the HDMI
output or add a PCIe x1 sound card. The Microserver only uses ~40W.

HTH