[mythtv-users] Netflix coming to MythTV native - no more wine/windows?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Sep 24 16:14:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:

> > see the
> > FlixFix extension
> > (
> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/flixfix/lmblncmaecbehbeeiepofafkgaabdfjc?hl=en).
>
> > However this method would be more difficult in the respect that you
> couldn't
> > use the mythtv themes, and instead would need to do more work to try and
> > make it appear seamless.
>
> Seamless is nice, but we may be setting our sights too high. I'd
> happily settle for "basic functionality" rather than shooting for
> "seamless", personally. Especially since Mr. Dean has made his position on
> "scraping" clear.
>
> So... let's say we use Chrome and something like FlixFix for the movie
> selection UI (as far as Myth is concerned, we're just launching a web
> browser, so, no TOU concerns for Myth -- Netflix can sue the FlixFix devs).
> What happens once you're in the DRM-protected Chrome playback environment?
> Will/can the playback blob get UI focus so LIRC can send keystrokes to it?
> Are there keyboard shortcuts for all of the necessary video controls
> (Play/Pause, FF/RW or Skip/Seek, etc)?

If the native netflix browser doesn't provide a keypress interface, it
should be fairly easy to overlay it with an extension, assuming that the
HTML5 player isn't somehow sandboxed to prevent extensions from interacting
with it.

I would expect that their HTML5 player would replicate the silverlight
shortcuts though:
http://markwarren.wordpress.com/2010/03/24/netflix-movie-player-keyboard-shortcuts/