[mythtv-users] Netflix coming to MythTV native - no more wine/windows?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Sep 24 17:56:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > see the
>> > FlixFix extension
>> > (
>> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/flixfix/lmblncmaecbehbeeiepofafkgaabdfjc?hl=en).
>>
>> > However this method would be more difficult in the respect that you
>> couldn't
>> > use the mythtv themes, and instead would need to do more work to try and
>> > make it appear seamless.
>>
>> Seamless is nice, but we may be setting our sights too high. I'd
>> happily settle for "basic functionality" rather than shooting for
>> "seamless", personally. Especially since Mr. Dean has made his position on
>> "scraping" clear.
>>
>> So... let's say we use Chrome and something like FlixFix for the movie
>> selection UI (as far as Myth is concerned, we're just launching a web
>> browser, so, no TOU concerns for Myth -- Netflix can sue the FlixFix devs).
>> What happens once you're in the DRM-protected Chrome playback environment?
>> Will/can the playback blob get UI focus so LIRC can send keystrokes to it?
>> Are there keyboard shortcuts for all of the necessary video controls
>> (Play/Pause, FF/RW or Skip/Seek, etc)?
>>

> If the native netflix browser doesn't provide a keypress interface, it
> should be fairly easy to overlay it with an extension, assuming that the
> HTML5 player isn't somehow sandboxed to prevent extensions from interacting
> with it.
>
> I would expect that their HTML5 player would replicate the silverlight
> shortcuts though:
> http://markwarren.wordpress.com/2010/03/24/netflix-movie-player-keyboard-shortcuts/

Just got netflix working on my Mythtv system and I was wrong... the
keyboard shortcuts do not match.  Here are the only ones I found:

During page navigation:  (typical browser keyboard shortcuts, as expected)
- TAB will move through the movies, as it would any page link, but there is
no cursor or other indication of what movie is selected and I see no way to
pull up the movie info.
- Enter will start the selected movie, just like clicking a link

During playback:
 - BACKSPACE will take you back to browse
 - Spacebar will pause/play
 - Left/Right arrows pause playback and move you forward or back 10s.
 - CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+S lets you change the video and audio bitrates
 - CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+Q and CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+D gives you player information
 - CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+L gives you logging information

Looking at the javascript for the player, it looks like it shouldn't be too
hard to call functions from an extension to add keyboard shortcuts for most
things (volume, subtitles/audio options, fullscreen, seperate play &
pause).  I think with a little work it could even jump around the video in
different increments.

I just wish they hadn't used a javascript compressor, as it certainly makes
the code hard to parse.  jsbeautifier.org helps a bit, but you can only
look at so many single character variable and object names before you get
lost on what is going on.

On a good note, I did notice that running the browser full screen (F11)
results in full screen video, no different in appearance than if you
actually click the fullscreen button on the player.