[mythtv-users] Netflix coming to MythTV native - no more wine/windows?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 24 01:12:30 UTC 2014

On 09/23/2014 02:17 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 7:30 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>> Ahh... but is ... considered scraping?
>> "Duck test".  We all know scrapping when we see it.
>> You want to scrape.
>>
>>> Perhaps, we can hope that NetFlix won't get too controlling... we pay for
>>> the content, not for their interface.
>> Their interface *is* their content.  They are controlling
>> their content, and how it is shown to you.  I am not a
>> huge fan of their interface (their content), but I accept it
>> is their choice.
>>
>>> If we are turned off by the interface
>>> and have no way to use something different, they may start to lose
>>> people.
>> If every MythTV household that had NetFlix deleted their
>> account, it would likely not be above the NetFlix
>> subscriber churn noise (although it might impact the
>> MythTV user base numbers, if one had to choose
>> between being a MythTV household and a NetFlix
>> subscriber due to the WAF).  While I am sure you are
>> the center of the universe, I do not believe that Los
>> Gatos revolves around you.  But please feel free to
>> demonstrate your principals, and to lead the way,
>> and to delete your NetFlix account until NetFlix does
>> it your way.  It is the only way to show them who is
>> in charge here!
>
> My, aren't you negative.
>
> 1. I am not convinced what I am proposing would really be called
> scraping...

Call it whatever you want, but its name makes absolutely no difference.
The approach is explicitly prohibited by the ToU.  All you have to do is
read those terms, which you can do at:  https://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse

Since you obviously haven't read it, yet, let me quote one part of it:

----
6. Netflix Service
   e. You agree to use the Netflix service, including all features and
functionalities associated therewith, in accordance with all applicable
laws, rules and regulations, or other restrictions on use of the service
or content therein. You agree not to archive, download (other than
through caching necessary for personal use), reproduce, distribute,
modify, display, perform, publish, license, create derivative works
from, offer for sale, or use (except as explicitly authorized in these
Terms of Use) content and information contained on or obtained from or
through the Netflix service without express written permission from
Netflix and its licensors. You also agree not to: circumvent, remove,
alter, deactivate, degrade or thwart any of the content protections in
the Netflix service; use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated
means to access the Netflix service; decompile, reverse engineer or
disassemble any software or other products or processes accessible
through the Netflix service; insert any code or product or manipulate
the content of the Netflix service in any way; or, use any data mining,
data gathering or extraction method. In addition, you agree not to
upload, post, e-mail or otherwise send or transmit any material designed
to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer
software or hardware or telecommunications equipment associated with the
Netflix service, including any software viruses or any other computer
code, files or programs.
----

Notice the explicit mention of "modify" and "create derivative works
from" and "manipulate the content of the Netflix service in any way".

Lawyered!  (And I don't mean what I did to you, but what Netflix did to
all its users.)

Mike