[mythtv-users] Netflix coming to MythTV native - no more wine/windows?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 16:23:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 6:17 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> 1. I am not convinced what I am proposing would really be called scraping...

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

> 2. Their interface is not their content...

Yes, it is.  They also stream others content.  But
*their* content is their user interface (and the
designers believe that their artistic contribution
is worthy of being considered valuable content).
And NetFlix (and their partners, but NetFlix
was the responsible party) has rolled out their
newer UI content to almost all their supported
platforms (updates for their Samsung, Panasonic,
Sony, Web, and and mobile device have all
occurred).  Did you not notice their content (UI)
got different over the past year or so?.  They believe
*their* content (their UI) is important to the way
they want to interact with their customers.  A
consistent interface is what they demand and
expect.  And, yes, it is yet another form of lock-in,
as you want that queue, and you want those
recommendations.  As I said, I am not really a
fan of their content (UI) but I do not get to decide
or influence their UI content (for some reason,
NetFlix has never asked me to join one of their
focus groups).