[mythtv-users] Netflix coming to MythTV native - no more wine/windows?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 16:39:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> I suspect they have provided enough notice of that API going away to
> allow such device manufacturers to redesign their firmwares accordingly.

There was plenty of notice.  But almost all of
the devices that had "NetFlix inside" did not
use the API that is being withdrawn.  They
used NetFlix's "native" interface.  The API
was an attempt (now abandoned) to make
NetFlix available in different ways to
(essentially) small, independent, platforms
and systems.  That result was a divergence
of the experience that NetFlix found
problematic.

> So yes, users will have to do firmware updates.

In many cases, it was already rolled out
after NetFlix (or the partners) updated to
meet their new content (UI) guidelines, and
did not require a formal firmware update
(think of it as a platform App Store; most apps
are updated behind the scenes without a formal
firmware update; sometimes you have control
of that update, and sometimes not so much).
I remember my (old) Blu-ray player from time
to time saying "You have new Internet Content
available", and press "enter" to update.  My
guess is that all those player apps (including
NetFlix) were written in Java, since Blu-ray
players needed to run Java anyway (due to
the requirements).