[mythtv-users] log errors

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 14:50:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/23/2014 10:54 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>

>> I'm not familiar with the automated procedures. I know cut&past.  But
>> go with nano to the log (nano <path an name> and cut out irrelevancy!
>> Or simply rm them and grap the fresh start!
>> Also you can (I assume) cut out the wheat on the automatic paste!
>>

> As you've probably seen on this list, it's very common
> for users to paste what they believe to be the lines
> with errors.
>
> That may be OK, but it also means the lines at
> the beginning of the file that have the MythTV version
> (including the commit), are missing. As are the lines
> that show what loglevel and verbose options were used.
>
> So kudos to Daryl for providing the whole log. I was
> just trying to cut it down to the most recent run
> rather than 50K lines.
>
> Using the "rm" solution has caused problems for users
> on the list. Most recently, someone did it and then
> logging was shut off until the file was recreated
> (a permissions issue for that individual.)
>
> The other issue is with folded lines. My opinion is
> that if someone is asking for others to help them,
> then it's worth making the log easy to read. Here's
> an example of easy/hard:
>
>     https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Posting_Logs#Why_bother.3F
>
> As has already been mentioned the best way to generate
> a log for a single run is to use the --logpath option.
> I start all my MythTV programs with it, but it requires
> more maintenance to keep the number of files from growing
> out of control. Distributions in my experience seem to
> choose --syslog and that makes perfect sense to me.
>
> --
> Bill

Thanks for the patience and understanding, here are a couple appropriate
sized logs:

daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ ./shortlog.sh mythbackend | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/8656900/
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ ./shortlog.sh mythfrontend | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/8656903/
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$

TIA  Daryl