[mythtv-users] log errors

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 13:16:42 UTC 2014

On 10/23/2014 10:54 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the automated procedures. I know cut&past.  But
> go with nano to the log (nano <path an name> and cut out irrelevancy!
> Or simply rm them and grap the fresh start!
> Also you can (I assume) cut out the wheat on the automatic paste!

As you've probably seen on this list, it's very common
for users to paste what they believe to be the lines
with errors.

That may be OK, but it also means the lines at
the beginning of the file that have the MythTV version
(including the commit), are missing. As are the lines
that show what loglevel and verbose options were used.

So kudos to Daryl for providing the whole log. I was
just trying to cut it down to the most recent run
rather than 50K lines.

Using the "rm" solution has caused problems for users
on the list. Most recently, someone did it and then
logging was shut off until the file was recreated
(a permissions issue for that individual.)

The other issue is with folded lines. My opinion is
that if someone is asking for others to help them,
then it's worth making the log easy to read. Here's
an example of easy/hard:

     https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Posting_Logs#Why_bother.3F

As has already been mentioned the best way to generate
a log for a single run is to use the --logpath option.
I start all my MythTV programs with it, but it requires
more maintenance to keep the number of files from growing
out of control. Distributions in my experience seem to
choose --syslog and that makes perfect sense to me.

--
Bill