[mythtv-users] mythtv frontend startup beautification

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Nov 20 12:59:55 UTC 2014

On 19 Nov 2014, at 15:49, Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> After recently reinstalling my mythtv frontend and then tuning the startup down to several seconds (<10 from 0 to mythdesktop)  there is still something that bothers me.
>
> all the screens flashing by while the system boots
> * ugly ascii grub (because of the nvidia drivers there is no nice animation)
> * ugly ascii bar filling up (again nvidia drivers to blame)
> * lxde desktop popping up for a very short tim
> * white screen hiding the lxde desktop
> * black screen hiding the white screen
> * mythtv screen building up.

Not quite an answer to the question but...

I recently replaced my Myth Frontend with a UEFI motherboard, configured for UEFI boot and with a small SSD I get an extremely quick boot, no bios boot messages. The MythBuntu 12.0.4 install is configured for text boot (as per Nvidia) but I still get a neat Mythbuntu screen and only for a few seconds anyway.

Actually it’s all so quick that I had to change my system startup order in the Harmony remote, the frontend started before the projector is ready to do HDMI handshake, so now I start the Mythfrontend last.

There was also the problem that MythFrontend started before DHCP had responded, configuring for fixed IP solved that problem and made the startup even quicker.

Andre