[mythtv-users] MythTV needs to listen on 2 ports

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sat Nov 1 00:50:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
wrote:

>  On 10/31/2014 1:03 PM, John Moore (Compucom Systems Inc) wrote:
>
> I am just totally taken by surprise that MythTV cannot listen to more than
> 1 Network.
>

> On 10/31/2014 9:14 AM, John Moore (Compucom Systems Inc) wrote:
>
> The problem is a need to keep the networks isolated which means more
> hardware to accommodate a dedicated network.
>

> I still don't understand this specific scenario.  What's the difference
> between MythTV sitting on two different networks and listening on both,
> versus MythTV sitting on one network, and having a routing process shovel
> packets from a second network at it?  If MythTV has access to both
> networks, those networks cannot be considered isolated.

Raymond,

He and I chatted offline, and I can't really wrap my mind around his
approach to networking.  He has some really weird notion that it's better
to put each VLAN on a separate switch.  He says he can't add another VLAN
until he spends $500 for another layer 3 switch because he doesn't like the
idea of having a mix of vlans assigned to ports on the same switch... even
though that's the whole reason that layer 3 switches were created in the
first place.

Anyway... I don't think he wanted help, just wanted to understand why
Mythtv only listens on a single IP.