[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Thu May 8 19:59:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm, I would have to disagree a bit.  I have been on the HDPVR a while,
> and now that my TV supports HBOGo/Showtime/CineMax, etc - I no longer
> record my shows with MythTV that I can watch in 1080p with my smartTV
> (still whenever I want to).  No commflagging needed on pay channels anyway,
> but the 1080p beats the shit out of DirecTVs 1080i through a HDPVR all day
> long and twice on Sunday.  Of course I still watch everything else through
> the FE.
>
> Just another opinion on Smart TVs.

I just recently got HBO Go on my PS3.  You know what sucks about it?
 Throttling.  It can happen at any time and degrade my viewing experience
and there's nothing I can do about it.  The picture and audio can look
awful.  Sometimes, they're nice, but without a decent bitrate and good
audio, what's the point?  I bought an HD TV and surround sound to use them
to their fullest.