[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu May 8 19:55:41 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 11:18:05PM +0100, Richard Morton wrote:
> > In my view the concept us a complex user interface on the tv is going to
> go
> > away. I've spoken about this on a few occasions previously but there is
> now
> > evidence that this is happening...
> >
> > If myth back end was the store of the media and the smart phone/tablet
> > application was the use interface and controller then the TV just needs
> > be renderer of the video or audio... A.k.a. a chromecast...
>
>      Nope. Smart TVs suck. They try to displace external set top boxes but
> do
> a very bad job of it. In the future, there will still be a market for
> people
> who want something better. MythTV represents that kind of sensibility.
>
>      So doing away with the frontend would be a bad idea.
>
>      ARM devices are cheap but they can't do any of their own decodding and
> often the experience ends up being less satisfying then using a proper
> HTPC.
>
> [deletia]

Hmmm, I would have to disagree a bit.  I have been on the HDPVR a while,
and now that my TV supports HBOGo/Showtime/CineMax, etc - I no longer
record my shows with MythTV that I can watch in 1080p with my smartTV
(still whenever I want to).  No commflagging needed on pay channels anyway,
but the 1080p beats the shit out of DirecTVs 1080i through a HDPVR all day
long and twice on Sunday.  Of course I still watch everything else through
the FE.

Just another opinion on Smart TVs.