[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu May 8 17:03:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 11:18:05PM +0100, Richard Morton wrote:
> In my view the concept us a complex user interface on the tv is going to go
> away. I've spoken about this on a few occasions previously but there is now
> evidence that this is happening...
>
> If myth back end was the store of the media and the smart phone/tablet
> application was the use interface and controller then the TV just needs to
> be renderer of the video or audio... A.k.a. a chromecast...

     Nope. Smart TVs suck. They try to displace external set top boxes but do
a very bad job of it. In the future, there will still be a market for people
who want something better. MythTV represents that kind of sensibility.

     So doing away with the frontend would be a bad idea.

     ARM devices are cheap but they can't do any of their own decodding and
often the experience ends up being less satisfying then using a proper HTPC.

[deletia]