[mythtv-users] MythTV vs XBMC

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu May 8 20:04:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmmm, I would have to disagree a bit.  I have been on the HDPVR a while,
>> and now that my TV supports HBOGo/Showtime/CineMax, etc - I no longer
>> record my shows with MythTV that I can watch in 1080p with my smartTV
>> (still whenever I want to).  No commflagging needed on pay channels anyway,
>> but the 1080p beats the shit out of DirecTVs 1080i through a HDPVR all day
>> long and twice on Sunday.  Of course I still watch everything else through
>> the FE.
>>
>> Just another opinion on Smart TVs.
>>

> I just recently got HBO Go on my PS3.  You know what sucks about it?
>  Throttling.  It can happen at any time and degrade my viewing experience
> and there's nothing I can do about it.  The picture and audio can look
> awful.  Sometimes, they're nice, but without a decent bitrate and good
> audio, what's the point?  I bought an HD TV and surround sound to use them
> to their fullest.

I have yet to experience throttling with AT&T uVerse, but when I do, it
will surely piss me off:)

So far, Netflix, HBO/Sho/Amazon, etc have all streamed great.  HBO in fact
I would say rivals DirecTVs 1080p on paid content.

I have been reading about all of the throttling (and the fact the FCC seems
to agree with it), and it is only downhill from here I can say..