[mythtv-users] Seeking frontend advice

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Jun 28 10:13:46 UTC 2014

On 27/06/14 22:14, Piers Kittel wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Been mulling on the MythTV setup for my parents for a few months now - I've
> taken on board advice to separate the back-end and the front-end so I'm looking
> to build a nice quiet front-end capable of playing silky smooth video.  The
> back-end will have Hauppaugue DVB-T capture cards. My parents' LCD TV only have
> a S-Video input, no composite, no VGA.
>
> I've got a Silverstone LC04 case & PSU however the PSU is pretty old and a
> little flaky.  After researching the MythTV wiki, I have come up with the
> following hardware list - I'm hoping you could advice me whether this fits the
> requirements well.
>
> * Dell Optiplex 760 Desktop with Core 2 Duo 3GHz & 2GB RAM (e.g.
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191197846732 )
> * GeForce 8400 with S-Video out and VDPAU support  ( e.g.
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281126445741 )
> * Cheap SSD drive (e.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/261748 )
> * Controlled via MythMobile on iPad (already have)
>
> Total cost £110-£120 ($190-$200)
>
> Am I on the right track, or would there be better options?  Also, would a
> GeForce GT610 with a VGA-S-Video adapter be a better bet?
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

That Dell isn't going to be quiet, it is designed for an office with a certain
amount of ambient noise to cover the fan.

As others have mentioned, the SSD isn't essential, particularly if the drive
isn't going to host the database. Once you've booted the frontend, almpost
everything will be in memory.

--

Mike Perkins