[mythtv-users] Seeking frontend advice

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sat Jun 28 01:13:30 UTC 2014

On 28/06/2014 7:14 AM, Piers Kittel wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Been mulling on the MythTV setup for my parents for a few months now -
> I've taken on board advice to separate the back-end and the front-end
> so I'm looking to build a nice quiet front-end capable of playing
> silky smooth video.  The back-end will have Hauppaugue DVB-T capture
> cards. My parents' LCD TV only have a S-Video input, no composite, no
> VGA.
>
> I've got a Silverstone LC04 case & PSU however the PSU is pretty old
> and a little flaky.  After researching the MythTV wiki, I have come up
> with the following hardware list - I'm hoping you could advice me
> whether this fits the requirements well.
>
> * Dell Optiplex 760 Desktop with Core 2 Duo 3GHz & 2GB RAM (e.g.
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191197846732 )
> * GeForce 8400 with S-Video out and VDPAU support  ( e.g.
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281126445741 )
> * Cheap SSD drive (e.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/261748 )
> * Controlled via MythMobile on iPad (already have)
>
> Total cost £110-£120 ($190-$200)
>
> Am I on the right track, or would there be better options?  Also,
> would a GeForce GT610 with a VGA-S-Video adapter be a better bet?
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Regards - Piers
Why do you need to separate front end and back end.  With a single
tuner, the Dell will be happy playing video/recorded tv as well as
recording simultaneously.  (It would probably handle at least 4
recording streams at once)
If your LCD has only s-video input, then I would suggest upgrading that
to one that has dvi/hdmi/vga input, or just use a cheap PC Monitor (if
you dont want to use it as a normal TV as well).
SSD drive is not required, its a rolls royce option.   I'd spend money
on LCD or bigger storage drives.

-----
No virus found in this message.