[mythtv-users] HDPVR HD Recordings are in 4:3 format

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Jan 14 23:51:43 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the
> HD-PVR syncs up at the 480i rate, you are likely to see
> that for the rest of the stream.  Since some either start
> recording early, or the shows start a little late, starting with
> a commercial is even likely.

To be clear, this is why I added the clause "So if the video is in a lower
resolution and *it's well formed*" in my previous remark.  A
resolution change mid-stream could very well screw up the HD-PVR, but
the result would be 720x480i video that contains garbage instead of
well-formed video that happens to be at a lower resolution.

Indeed, you should *definitely* configure your STB to output only a
single resolution if that option is available to you.  Let the STB do
upscaling if needed, and avoid the headaches that can occur with the
HD-PVR if a resolution change occurs unexpectedly.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com