[mythtv-users] HDPVR HD Recordings are in 4:3 format

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 23:41:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a method to determine what the root problem is? Does Time
> Warner sometimes send a normally 1920x1080 show out at 720x480?  Is there
> something I'm missing?

A long time ago, on a cable system far far away, on an OS that
is no longer supported.... (so nothing that follows may apply,
but perhaps it does).

I seem to recall (from that limited testing for a friend, over 5
years ago) that if the HD-PVR "locks in" on a signal, the
entire rest of the stream will tend to use that resolution/refresh
rate.  Perhaps that has been fixed in later versions/firmware,
but if not, there is a potential issue...  [If this has been fixed,
please let me know.]

It is not uncommon in the US for either the original content
provider, or a local (re)broadcaster, or the local MSO, to insert
commercials of varying resolutions (I have seen 480i local
commercials inserted into nominally HD programs).  If the
HD-PVR syncs up at the 480i rate, you are likely to see
that for the rest of the stream.  Since some either start
recording early, or the shows start a little late, starting with
a commercial is even likely.

*Sometimes* you can change the STB to always output
in a specific format such as 1920x1080i (note that 1920x1080i
may *not* be the best quality; sometimes a lower resolution
progressive is better quality), rather than "Auto" which means
the STB will dynamically change the output (to the HD-PVR)
as the source changes, and you might get locked in at that
lower (commercial) resolution.  If your STB supports output
settings, set it to a specific HD value, and see if that does
not fix your issue.