[mythtv-users] Lowest power HD frontend?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jun 4 03:43:49 UTC 2013

On 6/3/2013 10:50 PM, James Linder wrote:

>>> Moore's law is not a law of nature, more like a law of marketing.
>>> Or coleslaw.
>
> Actually physical limits like the speed of light which limits clock
> speed or quantum uncertainty which limits the smallness achievable ie
> we've got 22 nanoMeter we probably will not ever get 2 nanoMeter so
> placing great trust in Moores law is going to lead to great heartache
> no matter what you believe.
>
> Moores law is on the cusp of a great STOP, CEASE, GO NO FARTHER.
>
> To quote James May "Modern youth think that your music collection
> fits in your back pocket" but Library of Congress probably never will
> (I've not done the math, but you get the picture) James

Once we finally start slowing, market pressures will just force chip
manufacturers to go 3D to continue selling product, using vertical
packing and inter-connectivity to work around timing issues from
distances on large chips and allow ever increasing transistor counts. It
may even end up being the FPGA manufacturers who force this transition,
as signal distance is already a huge issue on those things. Local VRUs
will get around the need for high amperage supplies to the package.
Microchannel cooling will get around the TDP issues. We're still 10-15
years out from stagnating on manufacturing shrinks, and there's probably
as much to go in other tricks before we'll have to make a radical design
change.