[mythtv-users] Lowest power HD frontend?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 03:34:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 2:50 AM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
> Actually physical limits like the speed of light which limits clock speed or
> quantum uncertainty which limits the smallness achievable ie we've got 22 nanoMeter we probably will not ever get 2 nanoMeter so placing great trust in Moores law is going to lead to great heartache no matter what you believe.
>
> Moores law is on the cusp of a great STOP, CEASE, GO NO FARTHER.

Going lower than ~14nm was expected to require EUV lithography
but EUV is still somewhat behind the timeline to maintain the ~24
month "law" (mostly having to do with intensity, consistency, and speed).
It appears that many will continue to use optical immersion technology
for their 10nm class (possibly 11nm) parts.  It should be noted that
Intel, about a year ago, threw an additional $1bn into R&D at ASML
for EUV lithography, so perhaps it will be seen sooner rather than later.
It is actually an interesting time in the lithography business, and
alternatives such as e-beam technology are starting to look cost
effective.  The technology roadmap (which is as much of a wish
list as an actual deliverable timeline) shows 5nm around 2022.

Gary