[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.26 records live TV without being told to do so

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 11 19:15:22 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 01:43 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> The best way to find out how much storage is used by Live TV (and Deleted
>> Recordings) is to use the backend status page
> Which is what I said, but as I mentioned, it's not the easiest format
> for getting at from monitoring/alert scripts (since you need to do an
> HTTP request and parse it out). I can manage that, but not everyone
> can.
>

>> If you want to clean up the Live TV at any time, go to Watch Recordings,
>> select Live TV in the left column (i.e. using MENU|Change Group View to
>> include Live TV or MENU|Change Group Filter to show only Live TV), then
>> MENU|Add this group to playlist, MENU|Playlist options|Delete.  You can do
>> the same with Deleted shows to remove them from disk.
> It's handy to know you can delete an entire group at once (didn't
> realize that), but that's not really what I was after. I was asking
> about moving actual recordings from the LiveTV group, so that the
> LiveTV storage group only contains LiveTV. Right now, if you are busy
> using a tuner when a recording starts and you choose the "watch while
> it records" option, that "recording" actually goes into the LiveTV
> storage group (unless this changed recently...I haven't checked in the
> last 6 months or so). The same happens if you start watching a show
> live and then decide if you want to keep it as a recording

I think you're confusing 2 very different concepts when you say,
"group."  The Live TV Storage Group is a list of directories into which
Live TV recordings may be written.  The Live TV Recording Group is a
"tag" on a recording.

There is no benefit to moving a recording file out of a directory in the
Live TV Storage Group (and, presumably, into a directory in the Default
Storage Group or another you've defined).  Doing so would have no impact
on MythTV--it would only allow you to use things like file system tools
to figure out how much stuff is where.  A better approach is to have
tools in MythTV to tell you what's where, since you cannot do any file
management outside of MythTV (other than moving recordings from one SG
directory to another).  Getting the support into MythTV is the
"eventually" patch I mentioned.  (It will actually go much farther than
the existing backend status page, in that it will know which file is on
which disk, giving you extremely fine-grained control and information.)

Moving recordings to other Recording Groups, however, does have
benefits.  You can do this, for example, to keep a Live TV recording
"after the fact"--i.e. you realize you want to save it after you've
exited Live TV--or to make sure it's not deleted if the Recording Group
isn't changed due to the Live TV bug that's been in play for a bunch of
releases (where if you hit RECORD during Live TV, it doesn't always
change it to a non-Live TV recording).

To change the Recording Group of a single recording, MENU|Storage
Options|Change Recording Group (and either select an existing group or
type in a name to create a new one).  To change the Recording Group of a
bunch of recordings, add the recordings to a Playlist (MENU|Add this
group to playlist or, to add recordings one at a time, MENU|Add this
recording to playlist--note that you may have to push MENU a couple of
times to get the right menu).  Then, MENU|Playlist Options|Storage
Options|Change Recording Group.

Mike