[mythtv-users] android playback without HLS?

Daniel Frey dmfrey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 14:14:47 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> On 13-01-07 07:59 AM, Daniel Frey wrote:
> >
> > Brian,
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> > The next release will give you the option to pre-transcode recordings so
> > they are available immediately and you won't have to wait for startup or
> > processing to a point before they can be watched.
>
> Hrm.  That seems just too "organized".  :-)  But seriously... watching
> TV is not something that anyone wants to spend, or rather, waste any
> time planning.
>
> The typical process here is to get an hour or two, sit down with others
> and view the list of what's recorded (500 episodes it seems at the
> moment) and decided at that time what to watch.  Even alone, it's
> frequently a case of "what do I feel like watching, at this moment" and
> trying to guess a day or two in advance what I might want to watch is
> pointless.
>
> > You, for instance, set a few to process before you go to bed. Then they
> are
> > available for immediate streaming the next day.
>
> Right.  See above.  Watching TV, once you have gotten used to having a
> PVR, just doesn't work that way.
>
> > That should hopefully reduce the strain on your backend.
>
> So would just not transcoding where it's not necessary because there is
> plenty-enough bandwidth to just watch the native stream.  :-)
>
> b.

Brian,

The app isn't meant to be a replacement for your normal DVR watching
habits, just a complement to it (i.e. you are sitting in the airport, on a
train, or taking the kids on a long car ride, etc.).

I understand what you are saying about not needing to transcode when you
are on your home network.  It was not something we considered.  I will see
what capabilities we have available to us in the SDK and see if it is
something we can add to the app.  However, our primary concern right now is
to get all the basic functionality working across all the features of the
app.

Dan

--
My Google Profile <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey>