[mythtv-users] Progress Bar Location?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 9 17:07:30 UTC 2013

On 02/09/2013 11:37 AM, Joey Morris wrote:
> Ken Mandelberg wrote on Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 10:15:48AM -0500:
>> Joey Morris wrote, On 02/09/2013 07:00 AM:
>>>>
>>> Permanently? Yes, edit the theme. Temporarily during playback? I don't
>>> think you can, but I'm not completely sure.
>>>
>> Too bad its not dynamic. Some sports (NBA) put the running score on
>> the bottom, others (MLB,NFL) on the top. The progress bar is going
>> to cover one or the other.
> Do you display the progress bar long enough for this to be a problem?
> In the few seconds the progress bar is on the screen for you to check
> the progress, time of day, etc., you'll be focused on the progress bar
> and not the score/ticker, anyway. In the rare cases when the progress
> bar causes you to miss something in the score or ticker, you can
> always dismiss the progress bar with ESC,

Definitely a good point--and one I probably should have pointed out.
I'll admit I didn't think to do so because it seems so natural to me
(since I almost always dismiss the OSD rather than let it time out).

That said, if work ever slows down and I make some time to work on it, I
have a 90% complete patch that will allow the theme to specify the
timeout for various UI components (it's building on the patch done by
Dave Sp on ticket #9706).  That might be useful to Ken.

>   pause playback, or skip back
> a few seconds. I guess I'm just not seeing the use case here.
>
> I think a better argument for moving the progress bar is when you're
> creating your own instant replay by watching a play over again
> frame-by-frame. Hit pause, and the progress bar appears, sometimes
> right over the key part of the action, like where the player's foot is
> near the out-of-bounds line. So you hit ESC to dismiss the progress
> bar and see the scene clearly. Then step forward one frame and the
> progress bar reappears, right in the way again. So you get into this
> STEP, ESC, STEP, ESC, ... cycle when really you'd like to just do
> STEP, STEP, STEP. Although being able to move the progress bar would
> help with this scenario, I think an even better solution would be not
> to redisplay the progress bar after a step if it wasn't displayed
> before the step.

I'd be all for that if someone wants to do up a patch.

Mike