[mythtv-users] Progress Bar Location?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun Feb 10 01:41:21 UTC 2013

>  Ken Mandelberg wrote on Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 10:15:48AM -0500:

>>> the bottom, others (MLB,NFL) on the top. The progress bar is going
>>> to cover one or the other.
>>>
>> Do you display the progress bar long enough for this to be a problem?
>> In the few seconds the progress bar is on the screen for you to check
>> the progress, time of day, etc., you'll be focused on the progress bar
>> and not the score/ticker, anyway. In the rare cases when the progress
>> bar causes you to miss something in the score or ticker, you can
>> always dismiss the progress bar with ESC,
>>

> Definitely a good point--and one I probably should have pointed out.  I'll
> admit I didn't think to do so because it seems so natural to me (since I
> almost always dismiss the OSD rather than let it time out).
>
> That said, if work ever slows down and I make some time to work on it, I
> have a 90% complete patch that will allow the theme to specify the timeout
> for various UI components (it's building on the patch done by Dave Sp on
> ticket #9706).  That might be useful to Ken.
>

>    pause playback, or skip back
>> a few seconds. I guess I'm just not seeing the use case here.
>>
>> I think a better argument for moving the progress bar is when you're
>> creating your own instant replay by watching a play over again
>> frame-by-frame. Hit pause, and the progress bar appears, sometimes
>> right over the key part of the action, like where the player's foot is
>> near the out-of-bounds line. So you hit ESC to dismiss the progress
>> bar and see the scene clearly. Then step forward one frame and the
>> progress bar reappears, right in the way again. So you get into this
>> STEP, ESC, STEP, ESC, ... cycle when really you'd like to just do
>> STEP, STEP, STEP. Although being able to move the progress bar would
>> help with this scenario, I think an even better solution would be not
>> to redisplay the progress bar after a step if it wasn't displayed
>> before the step.
>>

> I'd be all for that if someone wants to do up a patch.
>
> Mike

As a quick work around... try adjusting your zoom level before scanning.  I
have often though it would be cool to have a theme/option that would
essentially scale the video so the OSD was outside of the frame.   Add in
the possibility to keep the OSD onscreen until you close it and it would be
very handy for things like editing, frame-by-frame viewing, etc.