[mythtv-users] Progress Bar Location?

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Sat Feb 9 16:37:05 UTC 2013

Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote on Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 10:15:48AM -0500:
> Joey Morris<rjmorris.list at zoho.com> wrote, On 02/09/2013 07:00 AM:

> >Permanently? Yes, edit the theme. Temporarily during playback? I don't
> >think you can, but I'm not completely sure.
> >

> Too bad its not dynamic. Some sports (NBA) put the running score on
> the bottom, others (MLB,NFL) on the top. The progress bar is going
> to cover one or the other.

Do you display the progress bar long enough for this to be a problem?
In the few seconds the progress bar is on the screen for you to check
the progress, time of day, etc., you'll be focused on the progress bar
and not the score/ticker, anyway. In the rare cases when the progress
bar causes you to miss something in the score or ticker, you can
always dismiss the progress bar with ESC, pause playback, or skip back
a few seconds. I guess I'm just not seeing the use case here.

I think a better argument for moving the progress bar is when you're
creating your own instant replay by watching a play over again
frame-by-frame. Hit pause, and the progress bar appears, sometimes
right over the key part of the action, like where the player's foot is
near the out-of-bounds line. So you hit ESC to dismiss the progress
bar and see the scene clearly. Then step forward one frame and the
progress bar reappears, right in the way again. So you get into this
STEP, ESC, STEP, ESC, ... cycle when really you'd like to just do
STEP, STEP, STEP. Although being able to move the progress bar would
help with this scenario, I think an even better solution would be not
to redisplay the progress bar after a step if it wasn't displayed
before the step.