[mythtv-users] http_proxy environment variable causing a raft of problems

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Dec 20 15:07:57 UTC 2013

On 12/20/2013 08:41 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> Btw, if you really need to use a proxy, I would recommend
>> moving to a transparent proxy using network intercept
>> technology at your gateway(s) rather than explicit proxies.
>
> That's just not how things are set up here and this set up works for
> everything else except MythTV.  Do you really think it's acceptable to
> have to re-engineer the network because 1 out of dozens of applications
> is broken?

Hmm.. perhaps not re-engineer the network entirely.  Sometimes you have
to adapt to the ever changing landscape (nothing is ever static, after
all), and sometimes you are forced to work around the perceived
limitations imposed by the tools you really want to use. :)

I'm not sure if this helps, but I have a similar setup with the proxy
server here (requiring authentication for internet browsing access), but
have whitelisted my frontend systems so as to not require, use, or even
know about the proxy server.  I'm not sure if your environment that is
possible to configure, and I know that represents a 'one-off' on your
configuration, but it might be an option...

On Dec 20, 2013, at 7:11, "Brian J. Murrell" <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> Qt automatically configures any created sockets to use the proxy defined by your environmental
variable.  MythTV does not know to forcibly unset these parameters for
internal communication.

Ah!  Good to know!  It is nuggets like this that make the list so
valuable. :)

-Rich