[mythtv-users] How to configure for HD channel to get priority (Freesat/Freeview UK)?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Apr 16 21:40:33 UTC 2013

>  In mythweb > settings > tv > channel info,  you can set a value in the
>> "recpriority" field to give a channel, a higher priority.
>>
>> As long as your two tuners are in separate "sources" you should have the
>> channel in there twice, even if the channel has the same number and XMLID,
>> and Call sign for each source.  So just make sure to set the right one.
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What is the best method of setting up MythTV so it records BBC1/2/ITV/4
>>> HD off the Freesat tuner before trying the Freeview tuner?
>>>
>>> Can MythTV do this automatically?  I can give priority to the Freesat
>>> tuner but then all recordings even the none HD are recorded off Freesat
>>> first?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

> I think the preferred method is to NOT use priorities but instead to set
> the input ORDER instead (in mythtv-setup). Give the Freesat tuner input a
> lower order number than the Freeview. Otherwise you may encounter
> situations where a program doesn't record at all (or records later) because
> it couldn't record it on the higher priority channel, even if it was on
> another channel earlier. Note that this applies to ALL programs & channels,
> not just the channels you listed--the scheduler will try to record on that
> input first and will switch to the Freeview in case of a conflict or a
> program that's not available on the Freesat input.

You can use input ordering, but then you will have a situation where
recordings will always fill the tuners in the order provided (assuming the
show exists on both sources).  This may not be desirable in all
circumstances.

For example say he orders them so that freesat is used before freeview.
 Freesat has more channels than freeview, thus it is more desirable that it
remains free for watching live tv, or last minute recording of shows that
only are only available on freesat.  However if he puts freeview first, it
will record any shows available there first, and leave freesat available
for use when you want to watch/record something thats only available there.