[mythtv-users] How to configure for HD channel to get priority (Freesat/Freeview UK)?

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Tue Apr 16 21:12:00 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> In mythweb > settings > tv > channel info,  you can set a value in the
> "recpriority" field to give a channel, a higher priority.
>
> As long as your two tuners are in separate "sources" you should have the
> channel in there twice, even if the channel has the same number and XMLID,
> and Call sign for each source.  So just make sure to set the right one.
>

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is the best method of setting up MythTV so it records BBC1/2/ITV/4
>> HD off the Freesat tuner before trying the Freeview tuner?
>>
>> Can MythTV do this automatically?  I can give priority to the Freesat
>> tuner but then all recordings even the none HD are recorded off Freesat
>> first?
>>
>> Thanks

I think the preferred method is to NOT use priorities but instead to set
the input ORDER instead (in mythtv-setup). Give the Freesat tuner input a
lower order number than the Freeview. Otherwise you may encounter
situations where a program doesn't record at all (or records later) because
it couldn't record it on the higher priority channel, even if it was on
another channel earlier. Note that this applies to ALL programs & channels,
not just the channels you listed--the scheduler will try to record on that
input first and will switch to the Freeview in case of a conflict or a
program that's not available on the Freesat input.

Karl