[mythtv-users] Running into trouble with Schedules Direct updates

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 16:04:39 UTC 2013

Seems I need to clarify the problem more.  My bad. ;-)

I have constructed a set of scripts, cron,and anacron jobs that
extracts the "Suggested Next Time" data from the last mythfilldatabase
log file and schedules a run to occur at that time, or, if something
prevents the system from being up at that time (e.g. system lockup or
power failure) it will run as soon as the system is back on it's feet.

That's not the problem.  Mythfilldatabase is getting run, but the
retrieval of Schedules Direct data failed on at least one occasion
with a partial download interrupted with a message about "Read error
at byte nnnnn (Connection reset by peer).Retrying."  The subsequent
retry logs a couple of messages and then reports "The file is already
fully retrieved; nothing to do."  This leaves mythfilldatabase with an
unusable download and me with no schedule data until a successful run
occurs by schedule or forced by me.

Is this common?  Is there any suggestion on how to recover from such
failures automatically?  (I suppose I could extend my scripts further
to look for a signature string, such as "nothing to do", and force a
retry after a suitable delay, say a minute.)

Any other ideas?