[mythtv-users] UPNP Client sees all videos as AVI files

David Buttrick dbuttrick at geekforce.com
Tue Apr 16 03:39:48 UTC 2013

I own a Sony BDP-s390 BluRay player. It is also a UPNP Media Renderer.

I rip my DVD's as MP4 files.

When I connect the Sony to my MythTV 0.24 backend, all the videos playback
perfectly. I even encoded them with audio passthrough, which gets me the
surround sound that I wanted.

After I upgraded to 0.25, I could no longer play anything. This is because
the Sony now sees the videos as AVI files, which it cannot play. Thinking
that this was fixed on 0.26, I upgraded to that. Still no dice.
The Sony displays the file as an AVI file, and not as an mp4 file, like it
did with 0.24.

i'm not sure whether this is because of something the media server is
sending to the client (i.e. a new way of classifying the media type), or
whether it is something that the client is doing because some part of the
conversation has changed, due to the upgrade.

The googling i have done about this suggests that it has something to do
with time representation, or the use of UTC for some timestamp in the
system, and that fixing that will clear up any problems
in identifying the media type. But I also saw that the time issue was fixed
in 0.26, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

How can I debug this? I need to learn how to turn on upnp logging like I
had in 0.24, and then how to understand what i am looking at...

Is there a way to use a browser or wget, to see the upnp trasactions, so
that I can start troubleshooting there?

I have two servers running right right now. my official Mythtv 0.24, and a
test 0,26 that only holds videos for testing.

Thanks for any help.

David