[mythtv-users] Problems Detecting DVB Capture Cards.

Tim Phipps phipps-hutton at sky.com
Thu Oct 11 08:45:09 UTC 2012

Quoting Ian Barton <lists at wilkesley.net>:
> Oct 11 08:38:12 mythtv mythtv-setup[3557]: E CoreContext
> cardutil.cpp:404 (ProbeDVBType) Can't open DVB frontend
> (/dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0) for /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0.
>
> The cards I have are:
> Hauppauge Nova-T 500
> Avermedia  DVB card
> USB tuner

I'm confused, you say you have three tuners yet you are pointing
mythtv-setup at the fourth one (adpater3).

Are some of these tuners duals? What does 'ls /dev/dvb' give.

I used to have a problem with a Freecom USB DVB stick that required
firmware to be loaded on cold boot. That would end up with two
devices. All was well if I rebooted (the USB power stayed on so
firmware load was not required after reboot).

In fact I still have a bodge in /etc/rc.local to reboot if 'dmesg |
grep <firmware load>'

Cheers,
Tim.