[mythtv-users] Problems Detecting DVB Capture Cards.

Ian Barton lists at wilkesley.net
Thu Oct 11 08:02:27 UTC 2012

I have a backend on 0.25, which has been happily working for years
through various upgrades. However, because of some Freeview channel
shuffling I decided to do a rescan for new channels. While I was at it I
thought I would delete and re-add all capture cards. Now when I try to
re-add my capture cards I see messages like:

Oct 11 08:38:12 mythtv mythtv-setup[3557]: E CoreContext
cardutil.cpp:404 (ProbeDVBType) Can't open DVB frontend
(/dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0) for /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0.

It seems mythtv-setup can't open my cards. The backend is definitely
stopped, so that shouldn't be a problem. If I restore the backup
database I can tune OK on all cards. Note I can't rescan,  bacause the
scanner can't open my cards.

The cards I have are:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Avermedia  DVB card
USB tuner

lspci finds the Avermedia card:

01:06.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
Capture (rev 11)
01:06.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture
(rev 11)

lsusb can see the USB cards:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 07ca:a801 AVerMedia Technologies, Inc. AVerTV
DVB-T (A800)
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 2040:9950 Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T-500

Ian.