[mythtv-users] Problems Detecting DVB Capture Cards.

Ian Barton lists at wilkesley.net
Thu Oct 11 09:08:28 UTC 2012

On 11/10/12 09:45, Tim Phipps wrote:
> Quoting Ian Barton <lists at wilkesley.net>:
>> Oct 11 08:38:12 mythtv mythtv-setup[3557]: E CoreContext
>> cardutil.cpp:404 (ProbeDVBType) Can't open DVB frontend
>> (/dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0) for /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0.
>>
>> The cards I have are:
>> Hauppauge Nova-T 500
>> Avermedia  DVB card
>> USB tuner
>>

> I'm confused, you say you have three tuners yet you are pointing
> mythtv-setup at the fourth one (adpater3).
>
> Are some of these tuners duals? What does 'ls /dev/dvb' give.
>
> I used to have a problem with a Freecom USB DVB stick that required
> firmware to be loaded on cold boot. That would end up with two devices.
> All was well if I rebooted (the USB power stayed on so firmware load was
> not required after reboot).
>
> In fact I still have a bodge in /etc/rc.local to reboot if 'dmesg | grep
> <firmware load>'

I am confused too:) The error happens whichever card I try to select. I
am aware of the cold boot problem. However, if I simply restore the
backup database and restart the backend, without doing anything else at
all Myth can tune using all three tuners. However, if I go into setup it
claims it can't open any of them.

Ian.